My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Monday, August 30, 2004

A Relationship With Words

I think that I both love and hate words. I love them for what they can do, and I hate them for what they cant do. Properly crafted words can accomplish amazing things - look at the Bible, the Magna Carta, Darwin's Origin of Species, they all changed the world. But when words try to convey the deeper truths, to give the meaning behind the word LOVE, or to explain some of the inherent truths of the soul, or to describe how the air smells different on the night of the full moon, that is where they show their weakness; that is where they fail.
To be a good writer, I think you must hate words. I think a truly great writer must see the inherent weakness of words, the great distance between words and the truths they are meant to express, and so works so hard in order to force them to achieve more, to help the words become closer to what they should be.
So having pointed out the hopeless inferiority of words, I'll use them nonethelss, since I have nothing else to write with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home