My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Torment (aka studying)

God I hate studying. You do too? No. I mean I really really really HATE studying. Way more than you do, I'm serious. My tattoo took 5 1/2 hours of serious pain, and I'd take that over 5 1/2 hours of studying in a heartbeat. It just takes so LONG, and its so BORING. I'm A.D.D., I cant do things that are boring and require long periods of focus, it just doesnt happen. When I finished law school, after 19 years of schooling, I swore I'd never study again. Then I had to take the California Bar, and when I passed that, I swore I'd really never have to study again. And yet, here I am. Again. This time for the Nevada Bar. You want to know how much I hate my job? Enough to voluntarily go through this hell again, that's how much.
So I've taken three weeks off work (unpaid of course); two to study and one for taking the test (yes, its three 8-hour days). And really, its not nearly enough time. And yet the thought of two weeks of nothing but studying is already killing me. I've got 2 days down, 12 to go. and about 12 hours before my roomates need to start keeping me away from sharp objects.
But so far I'm doing it. I want this that much. I mean, how much is too much of a price to pay to get a job you like doing?
Okay, so now back to learning the intricacies of the way Article 9 of the UCC provides priority payment of PMSI's in secured transactions. Wheee.
You all better congratulate me when its over. Both of you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Studying is evil--I feel your pain. Graduate school nearly kicked my ass, the first semester, because of how intensely evil it all was. Studying certainly seems like its own circle in hell, doesn't it?

But you'll get through this. It's not fun, or even mildly enjoyable--but it is a means to an end. This may sound really silly, but sometimes reading out loud helps me retain information better...and if I get really desperate (if the material is so boring that I keep reading the same paragraph over again), I'll actually read things in an accent (British, Irish--you name it). Crazy, yes? But if I do that, I find that I have to concentrate more on what I am saying, as to pronouce it correctly. But that's just me. *smile*

Good luck--and keep up the good work. In the words of Rob Schneider, "You can do it!" :-)

5:28 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I know it's hell on earth studying the Bar, and especially keeping it separate from the CALI bar that you took just a few years back.

But I really do think it will open some doors for you. And it IS necessary to study the details, because you NEED to know the subsection details about dumping the bodies of schleps from Topeka, Kansas who think they can count cards.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Wow. I've been away for so long, and I had no idea. Aside from the law stuff, what's the skinny on your ink? It's not that you don't seem the type. I'm just curious to know what kind you got.

Justin

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home